Monday, February 25, 2013

Rodeo Run 10K Race Report



This race report is eerily similar to the Jingle Bell Run.  Met Liz down in the lobby and off we go to the rail.  Riding the light rail is always an interesting experience.  We arrive a bit later than anticipated and begin looking for Active Houston and The Icehouse runners.  Of course we find neither.  Oh well.

We line up directly under the 7 minute pace banner, only to hear the people around us discussing to “hopefully keep a 9 minute pace”.  It’s too late/crowded to move up much.  This start isn’t going to be pretty.  It does not help that the late arrivers are walking up the middle of the corral back to where they think they should be.  The first mile is like a game of Frogger, or maybe Pitfall, with constant dodging of walkers.  Mile 1 7:27 pace and lot of energy wasted weaving in and out of traffic.  One day I’ll learn to not have expectations of actually racing these big in town races.  At about the first mile mark I drop the thoughts of sub 46 minutes, and aim for a 7:35ish pace.  It’s finally starting to clear out when I hit the 5K timing mat 22:58.  Seems like sub 46 is still a possibility.  Shortly thereafter I start falling apart mentally.  My motivation for enduring the pain necessary is low.  A couple of times I caught myself “coasting”, but noticed when I did my pace was still a respectable 7:40ish pace.  I finished in 46:35 (7:29 pace),  388th overall (out of 6310), and 54th (out of 447) in my age/gender group.  Next up:  Sub 1:40 attempt 1 at the Woodlands Half-Marathon.


Notes:

  • Bag drop was very well organized
  • Light Rail is now my preferred way of getting to these downtown races.
  • They needed to block off the start and force people to enter the corral from the sides
  • I need to move up closer to the start line.
  • Post race vendor tents were a mess.  Between the 5K and 10K starting at opposite ends and the sheer number of people it was difficult to get to the water/food tents.
  • Watching a bit of the parade is always fun.
  • First race I haven't bumped into someone I know.  Even finding Liz afterwards was tough.
  • After Hogs Hunt I need to focus on getting my weight down.

No comments:

Post a Comment