Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bachelorette Pt 4. - Post Date Musings

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3


Going in I was worried I would behave differently because we would be writing about the date. That didn't happen and good, bad, or otherwise I'm pretty sure she got a good feel for who I am at my core. With the exception of the very end of the date I never thought about the fact the date would be written about.

The first part of the scavenger hunt was actually a bit distracting for me. I was a bit nervous about the execution and leaving clues with strangers. Even though I'm sure I get bonus points for going to the extra effort of having strangers hand her the clue, if I had to do it over again I would have handed her the clues myself at Party City and Specs. It was hard to focus on getting to know who Sarah is as a person during the early part of the scavenger hunt. Also I would have made the timing such that we didn't have to rush at the beginning as that was the major distraction.

My original thought was to treat the lines like the actual blind line game we play during improv, but it quickly turned into grab a question and both of us answer it. As far as a date goes this worked much better than the gimmick of the blind line game. I think we both came up with good questions that we probably would not have asked each other otherwise.  I probably would not put in the funny blind lines if I had to do it over.

Lastly, I'm sure some people reading this are shocked I would put in the “Do you put out” blind line and the “You'll be sleeping here tonight” clue as part of a date. In our initial online interaction and the meet-n-greet we talked quite a bit about the stupid things guys/girls do online and in dating. I was VERY sure she would take these as jokes based on our other conversations. For a moment I thought about showing up in a wife beater and a bud lite hat, but figured that may be crossing the line. Plus I'd have to go out and purchase both for a one time use which didn't really appeal to me.

I almost canceled this date several times. After our initial meet-n-greet I never got the impression Sarah was all that interested in dating me. The other issue I had was being one of the bakers dozen.  Obviously this early in there isn't any expectation of exclusivity. This is one of the dating lies we tell ourselves. However, it's another thing altogether to have it so in your face. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always felt that both people in any relationship want to feel they are special to the other person. This clearly shatters that illusion. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. If it hadn't been for the fact we were writing it up and I told a bunch of my friends about the plan I probably would have moved on.  I'm glad we did this as it turned out to be one of the best dates I've had and I met an amazing woman.  The evening was awesome BECAUSE of Sarah. I can't think of too many people that the evening would have been nearly as fun with.

On the first couple of dates I’m looking for a couple things. First, in the Venn diagram of interests where is our intersection. We definitely have several common interests and maybe more importantly several things which are outside of our shared interest. I'm highly confident a run date isn't in our future, unless we're at the zoo and an animal gets loose.  Second, if I introduced her to my friends/family would their reaction be something other than “What the hell are you thinking Brian?”. Other than the pre-judgement on the oddity of how this all transpired, Sarah fits very well in my circle of friends. Regardless, what happens romantically between us, I can't see her not being in my circle of friends. Lastly, are there any clear deal breakers. I don’t have many so if she’s relatively normal this isn’t too hard to get past. She could still be a crazy cat lady, but I don't think so.

Now for what you've really been waiting for... Will there be another date? In short, I hope so. We have met up once already. She was in the area as some friends and I were out watching Monday Night Football and she stopped by for a quick judgement/approval by my friends drink. Anyone who knows Sarah knows she gets bonus point for coming out to meet for football. Also, we have plans for lunch on Friday, which I'm sure we will have lots to talk about after reading each others posts.

4 comments:

  1. I am enthralled reading your accounts of this amazing experience. I can't wait to read her story and see how #5 actually ranked in her holiday dating festivus. Your plan and execution of the date should be a model for every single man in the dating world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This girl you went out with sounds kinda weird, but also intriguing... ;-)

    This date is definitely material to be used again - fun, impressive, and a great avenue for getting to know each other. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure "weird" is the word I'd use to describe her ;-)

      Delete
  3. That sounded like an awesome date. I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete