Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Camping & Rocky Raccoon Volunteer Report



Originally I had planned to drive up for my noon to 6pm Rocky Raccoon HTRex aid station volunteer effort and drive back later that night. Then I went to a foam party with my improv peeps.  It turns out Joe is moving to LA in a month or so and we were discussing one last camping trip.  A couple of drinks later and the master plan was hatched.  We arrive Friday night, setup camp, and began the weekend of fun.


I’m finding volunteering at the races is a ton of fun, and a lot more hard work than it appears from the outside.  Trying to keep the food and drinks ready for the runners as they come in waves is challenging.  Just when you think you have things under control the next wave of runners comes through and you’re behind again.  I ended up staying until about 7:30 ending with traffic duty.  HTrex did a great job, everything was very well organized.  As a volunteer it is great to be able to shout out a runners request and be told exactly where something is, or on the odd occasion the request cannot be met.  It’s always great to hear things like “This is the best aid station” by many many runners. 




Joe went to Sam Houston State and is very familiar with all that Huntsville has to offer.  We headed to Zach's Bar & Grill for a beer (or two) and some fried pickles.  I know going out to dinner at a restaurant isn’t camping but this was a going away trip for Joe and he really wanted to show us some of his favorite local spots.  Joe wasn’t lying, the fried pickles were amazing.  We headed back to camp and smores were for desert.  



Overall it was great trip.  Remarkably I didn’t run at all while I was there.   If I don’t run the 50 miler next year (something I told myself I would never to again), I am definitely volunteering again.  I’ll make a  whole weekend of it either way.  I really want to see how crazy it gets out there at the midnight to 6am shift.  Next up Hot Chocolate 15K with my sister.  I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment