Monday, November 12, 2012

Color Run 5K Race Report




Back in July Rebecca, Liz and I were discussing races we would like to do when the Color Run came up.  Generally I avoid the gimmicky 5Ks as they tend to be way overpriced.  I can do a 5K easy run out my front door at no cost anytime I want.   I’ve had several friends who have run this in the past and said how much fun they had.  When Rebecca suggested we get a team together and wear tutus I was hooked.  Team “Coloring Outside the Lines” was born. 

We all meet up at Minute Maid Park about 8:15 in the morning.  Introductions are made and new friendships are formed.  Of course then it starts raining.  The rain didn’t last long or this could have quickly turned into the world’s largest wet t-shirt contest (10,000 people all wearing white shirts).   Does Guinness have a world record for that?

Before

The race starts in waves every couple of minutes starting at 9 and going until 9:45.  Since this isn’t a race we decided to all run together which was a great choice.  Off we go to the first color station, blue.  Only one in our group had previously run a Color Run and knew what she was getting into.  I was glad I used a bandana to cover my mouth, but still ended up with a gritty feeling in my mouth.   Rinse and repeat each 1K.  We stopped along the way for lots of pictures. 

Looking back at the "Blue" zone
The post-race party was fun but that was mainly because of our group making it fun for our group.  We took even more pictures, danced to the music, and got our goodies at all the tables.  Overall this was a fun social run.  I would highly recommend if you do one of these type of races to do it as a team.  The bigger the better.  This was definitely a social activity not a race, but that’s great too.  

Just in case you didn't get enough color during the run.
After shot
Car dealership getting creative to get your info


 Notes:

  • Parking at packet pickup sucked and so did traffic around the Galleria.  Next time a packet pickup is in that area, go first thing in the morning.
  • I love races at Minute Maid Park.  Parking is never an issue as they open up the stadium parking.
  • Need some eye protection the next time I do one of these.  My contacts came out yellow.
  • Liz’s idea of using the dry cleaners bags as car seat covers was brilliant!
  • The color washed off me and out of the clothes much easier than expected.  My white shirt is white again. No bleach needed.
  • Need a mohawk wig for the next one, and maybe some other flair.

Next up was supposed to be the HMSA Classical 25K, but my sisters decided that was going to be family vacation weekend since I was the only one that needed to cancel something.  Time to sugar up my nephews and hand them back over to mom and dad.  Yep, I'm that uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment