Thursday, November 15, 2012

Going Vegan = Epic FAIL



This is way overdue. With all the racing there have been better things to write about.  I tried going vegan, I really did.  The first week went really well.  I was committed enough to order vegan at Benjy’s during a first date (there wasn’t a second date after the vegan thing, oh well).  Then the beginning of the end came.  Going out to eat would prove to be my down fall.  I went out with the improv crew after a show at Third Coast Comedy.  After catching much shit from the guys about “this vegan thing”, I ordered a portabella mushroom cap “burger”.  Thinking it was a mushroom cap instead of a meat.  Halfway through I noted to the guys this was the best vegan burger I’ve had.  That’s when it realized what I was actually eating was a normal burger with diced mushrooms mixed in. 

A couple days after the Space City 10 Miler I got pretty sick.  No food sounded good, but I was able to run so I didn’t think too much of it.  Then I had to take a day off work.  So I made a smoothie and added some protein powder.  After downing a few glasses I felt a bit better pretty quickly.  I’m not sure if it was lack of calories, protein or something completely unrelated.  The second to last week of October I had a full social calendar and went out quite a few times.  Every time, I ended up with a meat centric meal.  I kept up the vegan thing at home and lunch.  The last week I went off being a vegan about every other lunch and I felt great again.  

I have no idea if going vegan and getting sick had anything to do with each other.  I did miss eggs and cheese quite a bit.  Going forward I will probably fall back into my limited meat diet.  My next food challenge is in December to finally kick my diet coke habit.  Hopefully it goes better than this did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment